[Foundation-l] Wimimedia Radio WAS:RE: Legal position of audiorecordings of GFDLcontent?

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 07:43:09 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org>
wrote:

> Of course, and I meant Wikimania 2009 not '08.
>
> Can someone tell me who would be a good couple of people from the WP
> podcasts and front page management to talk to?

You can contact me (User:Fuzheado) or User:Tawker.

I think it's an admirable idea, and suggest you start small and grow bigger.
No need for 8 hours off the bat, when there are zero hours now. As the
longest running regularly published audio product in the Wikipedia universe,
believe me when I say it is quite an undertaking.

Likely the best approach would be to have segments broken down into
different chunks, not unlike what US NPR does with its twice daily news
update, Morning Edition, Day to Day, etc. Each one can be an independent
chunk that can be downloaded via RSS like on iTunes as a podcast. Then you
stack all the canned audio segments together and have it available from an
Icecast streaming server which can stream Ogg format audio for example.

That way you can make three audiences happy simultaneously:
1. Podcast downloaders
2. Streaming audio fans (like Shoutcast)
3. Web-browser based listeners

I'll comment on Wikinews Water Cooler as well.

-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)