[Foundation-l] UNIQUE AND WORKABLE CRITERION

Jesse Martin (Pathoschild) pathoschild at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 13:08:15 UTC 2008

Pharos <pharosofalexandria at gmail.com> wrote:
>  OK I think now's the time to trot out again my proposal based directly
>  on the notability of the modern literature in a language, and the
>  specific criterion of whether or not a Featured Article could be
>  written on e.g. [[Modern Latin literature]] in the English or another
>  major-language Wikipedia.  I know it's weird, but I'd like to hear
>  what's wrong with this idea -beside- its being weird..

This criterion seems rather subjective to me. Featuring an article is
a commendation of the quality of its writing, not an objective
approval of its subject. I think your suggestion is to depend on the
"major" Wikipedias' concept of notability, since a non-notable article
presumably wouldn't be featured. However, I don't think the notability
of a language is at issue; every language with native users is
welcome, regardless of how "notable" particular volunteer
encyclopedists consider it to be. For example, en-Wikipedia doesn't
have an article at all on
Aramanik<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=aam>, let
alone on modern Aramanik literature.

--