[Foundation-l] Confidentiality agreement with FSF

Dan Collins en.wp.st47 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 20:37:57 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 15/04/2008, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> > On 4/15/08, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I didn't ask for reasoning, I asked about actions. What did you do to
> >  >  convince them not to require the NDA?
> >

> > We did not sign an NDA. We respect the confidentiality of the process
> >  in a mutual understanding of the intention of the license.
>
> If you haven't signed an NDA, you should tell us what's going on. Why
> would you respect confidentiality unless it was a requirement to
> participate?

Our ideals are openness and freedom of information, and for the most part we
believe that as a matter of principle, not due to any formal discussion
saying so. We didn't say "Let's write an encyclopedia, let's argue over
whether it should be free". FSF would obviously like a degree of
confidentiality for now, and Erik has chosen to respect that on principle.
Even if he isn't legally bound to protect that information, he has no reason
to simply release everything he knows. We call those people ruleslawyers. We
don't like those people, and we certainly don't want to be seen as one.

--
DCollins/ST47
Administrator, en.wikipedia.org