[Foundation-l] Ancient Greek Wikipedia, possible reconsideration

Ziko van Dijk zvandijk at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 16 17:38:27 UTC 2008

I am not so sure whether it is suitable to speak about "native speakers".
There simply are languages without native speakers or where the number of
native speakers is relatively small, like Esperanto, Latin and Swahili (30
mio. secondary language speakers, 2 mio. native speakers). On the other
hand, Sateersk or dialects like Bavarian or Asturian may have "native"
speakers, but this does not say necessarily that those "native speakers"
want to write in a Wikipedia of "their" dialect.
The existence of an ISO code does not seem to be very significant, indeed.
Ziko

2008/4/16, Jesse Martin (Pathoschild) <pathoschild at gmail.com>:

> Hello Crazy Lover,
>
> The lack of an ISO 639 code for modern usage of Ancient Greek is only
> one argument, and not necessarily one I put much weight on. The policy
> requires that a language have living native communities to read the
> wiki, and that is my personal position as well. There has been a lot
> of discussion on this list about this requirement recently, but no
> consensus on any change to it and no similarly objective workable
> alternatives.
>
> The subcommittee does not make exceptions to the policy, so discussion
> should focus on the policy rather than on exempting particular
> requests.
>

> --
> Yours cordially,
> Jesse Plamondon-Willard (Pathoschild)