[Foundation-l] Confidentiality agreement with FSF

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 17:58:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > There are many reasons for people to respect the confidentiality of
> >  discussions other than being forced to by an NDA.  I consider this to
> be
> >  so blindingly obvious that my mind was boggling as to what you could
> >  possibly have meant.
>
> People that aren't working for an organisation that's supposed to be
> as transparent as possible, sure. That's not the case here. The WMF
> should not be keeping anything from the community unless they
> absolutely have to.

If the WMF was in the business of pre-emptively publishing information on
drafts of FSF licenses, I'm fairly sure they wouldn't get to see any more
drafts.

Even without an NDA, I suspect it is fair to say that continued
participation in the process comes with an expectation of discretion.  The
Foundation has goals, like shaping the next GFDL, that aren't always going
to be compatible with radical transparency.

-Robert Rohde