[Foundation-l] Introduction to the internal workings of thelanguage subcommittee

Michael Bimmler mbimmler at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 20:44:11 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 10:35 PM, Brian McNeil
<brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org> wrote:
> Gerard, a little bit of language you may not be aware of... "Hoi" is not
>  generally considered a polite greeting. I don't know what your native tongue
>  is, but for the vast majority of English speakers its use is generally found
>  in "Hoi You!" where it is a prelude to berating or otherwise giving someone
>  a piece of your mind.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hoi#Dutch

"An informal greeting acknowledging someone's arrival or presence;
compare English hey, hi"

Now really, even if the lingua franca of this mailinglist is English
(for rather obvious reasons), I am quite offended if you start telling
people that they may not write greetings in their native tongue. From
his name, it might be rather apparent that Gerard is Dutch and even if
not, one might first ask and assume good faith.

Nothing personal here, but some English subscribers of this list
should try to widen their horizon and reckon that there are other
languages and other projects.

Viele Grüsse,
Michael