[Foundation-l] Future board meeting (5-7 april 08)

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 03:37:54 UTC 2008

On 4/12/08, effe iets anders <effeietsanders at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/4/11, Brion Vibber <brion at wikimedia.org>:
> >
> > We already went through this discussion internally. The document as
> >  written is quite explicit that constructive discourse is something to be
> >  encouraged and is not being restricted in any way -- I certainly
> >  wouldn't have signed it otherwise.
>
> I notice over and over again in this discussion that it is quite hard
> to discuss a document that we have not read. Maybe we should wait
> until the Board or Mike releases that proposal, so that we can discuss
> it properly (or not discuss at all, but wait until it has been
> accepted, which makes community discussion kind of useless)
>
> BR, Lodewijk

As a matter of pure factual accuracy, an acceptance of a resolution
or signing a bilaterally binding agreement, does not make community
discussion useless. Far from it. Silent acquiescence, even after the
fact, to bad works (if any) by the board or staff, when they are of an
institutional nature, - rather than personal peccadilloes - serves a very
useful role, in steering such bodies away from moving further along
that course in the future.

Now I do not know that what is approved eventually if at all, is what
a fair person would describe as a bad piece of work, but the general
point stands.