[Foundation-l] Provisional Volunteer Council: May we start?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Apr 9 08:35:11 UTC 2008

Milos Rancic wrote:
> I was thinking about having two lists: one read-only and one private.
> Read-only should be used for the most of discussions, while private
> should be used if someone asks for that (which should be notified
> somehow at the read-only list; maybe like "a contributor asked for
> private conversation" or "a council member asked for that" -- without
> mentioning names, of course). The problem with that concept is that
> PVC should have a time-limited mandate and that I am sure that two
> lists may mean significantly less efficiency.
>
> But, if we introduce a wiki, then we may solve it in the sense that a
> wiki would be read-only medium, while a list would be a private one.
>
> I think that both resources should be left to be used by VC.
>
> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 6:27 PM, FloNight <sydney.poore at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've read the post in the threads on the (P)VC  but have not commented
>>  further since I'm undecided about the next steps until I hear more
>>  from the board and the staff.
>>
>>  From my experience on ArbCom, a wiki is a much better place to keep a
>>  record of the discussions by topic. They also can be watchlisted so
>>  updates to threads of discussion are more obvious and topics under
>>  discussions can be completed sooner.
>>
>>  I agree that transparency is important for most of the work, but not all.
>>
>>  Some people are timid about making comments in public forums. If users
>>  want to contact the group privately with idea or concerns, I would
>>  like for them to be heard.

I'm generally supportive of Milos's Plan B in the event that the Board
fails to Act, but it's clearly better to have the Board on the same page
as the VC,  If the Board proposes limitations on the VC, we would do
best to try to accommodate that.  A little patience is to our advantage.

What Sydney says about people being timid plays a big part in my own
concerns about completely open discussions.  It also has to do with the
public giving brainstorm proposals more weight than anybody imagined.
Balancing openness with practical operations will need to be one of the
group's early challenges.

Ec