[Foundation-l] [Wikitech-l] Primary account for single user login

Anon Sricharoenchai anon.hui at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 05:03:01 UTC 2008

On 4/8/08, Marco Chiesa <chiesa.marco at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think this was discussed long time ago, and a few people on this list
>  had the impression that the en.wp policy of not admitting non-latin
>  script for user names was not really fair, even without taking into

1. Since en.wp is "English language" wiki, it suppose that the
contributor should understand english.
2. Since one goal of the web is to provide English contents, then the
readers will also expect English language from the web.

Hmm, but the above logic couldn't be applied in non-english wiki,
since the latin/english user name is allowed in most non-english wiki.
This may be because english is a universal language, that everyone
serving the internet should at least know.  At least, in recognizing
the url, they must recognize some english words.

On 4/8/08, Tim Starling <tstarling at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> I think the most sensible solution is to have a configurable
>  latin-alphabet alias for each user. Allowing it to be configurable means
>  that users whose names have ambiguous pronunciation can choose a
>  transliteration approximating the correct pronunciation, and users who
>  have a customary ASCII nickname for use on less enlightened websites can
>  use that.

Good solution.