[Foundation-l] [Wikitech-l] Primary account for single userlogin

Brion Vibber brion at wikimedia.org
Tue Apr 8 20:43:19 UTC 2008

Henning Schlottmann wrote:
> Has there ever been a discussion if SUL really is the answer to any real
> problem

To summarize:

* We run hundreds of wiki sites

* Many people are active on multiple sites, and we encourage this with
eg Commons media and Meta discussion

* It's continually inconvenient to have to create accounts and log in
separately on such tightly integrated sites

* The separate registration can result in name conflicts, which are
confusing at best and abusive at worst

Creating a global space for usernames resolves these continual
inconveniences and confusions of separate accounts, in exchange for a
one-time migration process which will be minimally inconvenient for
most, slightly inconvenient for a few, and rather annoying for a handful.

I selected this set of tradeoffs out of several possibilities, and I
continue to stand by it.

> and if this had to mean non-latin user names on projects based
> on latin languages?

That is a separate issue, not actually related to SUL at all (as shown
by the fact that it came up in discussions long before we were near
rolling out global accounts).

Tim's proposal for use of aliases neatly addresses this (and would
address it just fine completely without any existence of SUL, as well).

-- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org)