[Foundation-l] [Wikitech-l] Primary account for single userlogin

Marco Chiesa chiesa.marco at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 13:06:33 UTC 2008

Henning Schlottmann ha scritto:
> I is not the question, whether it is perceived as rude by some.
> Intelligibility of Chinese, Arabic Devanagari, Thai characters or
> whatever is a fact in most projects and it is high time to address it.
> By now I found the talk page and archives of [[:en:WP:U]]. There the
> question was raised several times but always chocked off by citing meta
> and claiming the foundation had said so and it was Force Majeure, that
> SUL would come and it would mean non-latin user names.

I think this was discussed long time ago, and a few people on this list
had the impression that the en.wp policy of not admitting non-latin
script for user names was not really fair, even without taking into
account SUL. It is true that latin script is the one normally used when
people with different scripts write to each other, but that does not
mean that we could assume that a Chinese (or if you prefer Russian or
Arabic) person would be able to read a name in a latin script. If you
are not sure that user:X is a genuine contributor or a vandal, just look
at his/her contributions. Before SUL, it was quite common that someone
would sign in on a project with the name of an admin of another project,
and start vandalising, so even in this case a recognised name was not a
guarantee that the editor was good.
> Has there ever been a discussion if SUL really is the answer to any real
> problem and if this had to mean non-latin user names on projects based
> on latin languages?

SUL is something many users have wanted for a long time; non-latin user
names are only a minor "problem", personally I think your arguments are
just NIMBY

Cruccone