[Foundation-l] VC - alternative resolution

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Apr 8 07:25:43 UTC 2008

Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> Hoi,
> The key thing is when the fence goes up, you know as a neighbour what is
> going to be build. You know if it is a house or a nuclear reactor. You know
> if its utility. At the moment I know the VC proposal does not state its
> utility, at the moment it is a grap for power hence the up front requirement
> for board approval. The name of a VC does not tell us anything either.
> Again, build your fence but also but a notice out stating that company PPC
> is going to build a Project Council that will represent the Projects in the
> organisation of the Wikimedia Foundation. The subcontractors are (the names
> of the provisional council members) and all volutunteer.
>
> It gives some rest to the neighbourhood.
> Thanks,
>       GerardM
I wasn't even talking about nuclear or industrial establishments, but
about strictly residential neighbourhoods.  Zoning by-laws would already
have kept industrial operations away.  When the housing developments are
built there are no residents on either side of the fence to see what is
being put up.  It's really about putting up barriers between people.

Whether the group is called a Volunteer Council or a Project Council is
of no consequence; it's merely word play.

Saying that there is a power grab strikes me as unnecessarily demeaning
all who are approaching the idea with a constructive attitude.  If the
Board agrees that this is a credible initiative it would be a good step
forward to give its support for the undertaking.  A more permanent
structure can be approved at a later time; alternatively, it always has
the option to pronounce against the credibility  of a rogue Council.

One of the tasks of a provisional group will be to better define the
"utility" of the Council, about which there is already a wide variety of
opinion just among the ten candidate members.  This is not a completely
clueless group of candidates.

Ec