[Foundation-l] Projects without >FDL1.2 migration clause

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Apr 7 15:19:07 UTC 2008

Brianna Laugher wrote:
 > If no version is specified, then there is no problem:
 >
 > 10. FUTURE REVISIONS OF THIS LICENSE:
 > "If the Document does not specify a version number of this License,
 > you may choose any version ever published (not as a draft) by the Free
 > Software Foundation."
 >
 > The only potential problem is if there are projects saying "license
 > under GFDL v1.2 [only]".

I think this is important, thank you Brianna.

I think it is absolutely untrue that any of our projects is licensed
under conditions that do not allow "or any later version".  In any
event, this has never been approved by the board or, as far as I know,
by any community.

There have been, in the past, some discussions by people who are not
lawyers about questions of whether "or any later version" clauses are
possibly problematic in some legal jurisdictions.  I am unaware of any
lawyer for the Foundation, for FSF, or for CC (who has the most
international set of lawyers working on their licenses) ever actually
making that claim.  (But it is possible that someone has, I am just
unaware of it.)

--Jimbo