[Foundation-l] Creative Commons CC-BY-SA Draft Statement of Intent

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Mon Apr 7 12:25:16 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 11:56 PM, Pharos <pharosofalexandria at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I don't want someone to modify it and put a non-free copyright on the
>  derivative of my photograph.
>
>  But I don't believe in purity tests either, that seek to dictate the
>  copyright status of work I had no hand in, and whose only connection
>  to my photograph is that they might appear on the same page.

Work that you had no hand in cannot be a derivative of your work, so
there's really no question about that.  However, if your photograph
appears in a newspaper article, then you *did* have a hand in that
newspaper article.

Maybe this is a matter of semantics, but if I look at a newspaper I'd
say it generally consists of articles which have pictures in them.  I
wouldn't say that it has articles and pictures which just happen to
appear on the same page.