[Foundation-l] Creative Commons CC-BY-SA Draft Statement of Intent

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 09:43:32 UTC 2008

On 06/04/2008, Pharos <pharosofalexandria at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 10:34 PM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
> >  We are continuing our conversations about that particular aspect, and
>  >  my personal hope is that we will figure out a way to clearly state
>  >  through the license that adaptations such as a picture embedded into a
>  >  newspaper article trigger the share-alike clause, i.e. the newspaper
>  >  article would be CC-BY-SA licensed. (Or, as I would argue, in those
>  >  particular cases, any other DFCW compliant license.)
>

> Have you at all considered the practical effect of such a redefinition?
>
>  The day such a redefinition is passed will not be the day that the
>  world media suddenly shifts over to free content all-of-a-sudden in
>  glorious revolution.
>
>  No, that will be the day when they stop using free-licensed photos at all.
>
>  Thanks,
>
> Pharos

In the short term yes. But then Microsoft don't use gnu based stuff
and Linux still ticks over. The argument is that incidental use of
free images in non free text doesn't gain us anything anyway. However
by using strong copyleft we can perhaps get free text releases from
the likes of university and school newspapers. Perhaps society
magazines rather than trying to target the top end and not getting
much to show for it.

Of course there is a new scientist article under a free license
somewhere. It is under a free license so they could include a copy of
a recipe for free cola.

--
geni