[Foundation-l] Allow new wikis in extinct languages?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 05:10:39 UTC 2008

Hoi,
The argument against new wikipedias in extinct or ancient languages is that
as a consequence of their status new vocabulary prevents the writing of a
modern encyclopaedia. With the creation of neologisms you change the
language to the extend that it no longer IS that language.

This has nothing to do with the relevance of the language but everything
with the historic accuracy of that language. People that read all this
modern terminology will expect that as a consequence they are learning the
language while in fact they will not truly do this. Latin is in my opinion
different in that it has seen continued use and the Vatican does publish a
dictionary with neologisms (new in relation to the classical Latin).

When it can be proven that there has been a continued use, it would not
surprise me that this is true for Sanskrit, I would personally re-evaluate
my position and consider an exception to this rule.
Thanks,
     GerardM