[Foundation-l] Allow new wikis in extinct languages?

Ziko van Dijk zvandijk at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 2 18:35:19 UTC 2008

About Wikipedias of weak languages: There is a West Flemish and a Volapük
way. The West Flemish have a small, but decent Wikipedia, mostly with
(though often short) articles about the region and regional culture. The
Volapük Wikipedia is a phantom, consisting for 99% of geographical bot
genereated stubs.
I would like to see a rule that allows West Flemish Wikipedias, but not
Volapük Wikipedias...
Ziko

2008/4/2, Pharos <pharosofalexandria at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Andrew Whitworth <wknight8111 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Pharos <pharosofalexandria at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >  >  I've proposed the "Can
> >  >  someone write an FA on the language's modern literature?" criterion
> as
> >  >  a useful surrogate for the types of criteria you suggest.
> >
> >  But just saying that a person "can" do something doesn't mean that the
> >  person "will" do it. Volunteers work on what they want to work on, and
> >  if nobody wants to write a particular article or class of article, it
> >  will never get written.
> >
> >  Through Wikipedia policy, if the article exists then the topic must be
> >  notable. However if the article doesn't exist, that doesnt mean that
> >  the topic is non-notable. What this is, is a test with potential false
> >  negatives.
>
> What I'm saying is, we have to allow an outlet for people proposing a
> new language Wikipedia in a "historical" language to prove their case.
>   Right now, the subcommittee tells them, "Don't bother me kid, go to
> the International Organization for Standardization", which is an
> impossible task, because the ISO is a big bureaucracy that just
> doesn't deal with categorizing "historical" languages that are still
> alive in a written form.
>
> Writing an FA would not be easy, but it is a task that the proposers
> of a new language Wikipedia in a "historical" language could be
> reasonably expected to be able to accomplish to prove their case (or
> not).  The time-scale for writing an FA would typically be a few
> months, which is quite comparable to the time-scale of the -vastly
> unproductive- back-and-forth arguments that characterize a typical
> request to the subcommittee of this type.
>

> Thanks,
> Pharos

Ziko van Dijk
Roomberg 30