[Foundation-l] Allow new wikis in extinct languages?

Pharos pharosofalexandria at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 17:51:14 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 7:29 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
>  Having a criterion that is dependent on the English language Wikipedia is
>  not and cannot be seriously considered as a standard. What it considers note
>  worthy is not necessarily relevant from a linguistic or otherwise point of
>  view.

Are you denying the usefulness of the wiki model?

To become a Featured Article, a literature article would have to go
through the very serious Featured Article Candidates Review.  This is
the best process we have -anywhere- on Wikimedia to weed out fake and
non-notable things.

I'll tell you one thing, there was never a Featured Article on
[[Siberian language literature]].

This is just one way for the Languages subcommittee to farm out the
research work, to let an established review process advise their
opinion on these particular cases, and spare the subcommittee many
pages of useless back-and-forth arguments and spurious "facts"
supporting different sides.

And it's about literary relevance, not linguistic relevance.

Neither is there a reason to privilege English: an FA is any
major-language Wikipedia would demonstrate the same point.

Thanks,
Pharos