[Foundation-l] Provisional Volunteer Council - proposal sent to the Board

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Apr 2 07:30:55 UTC 2008

Mike Godwin wrote:
> Just a quick question -- has anyone here conducted a legal review of
> the proposal for a Volunteer Council (including review of the Florida
> "Corporations Not For Profit" statute)?
>
> --Mike
I very seriously doubt if anyone has done this.  The emphasis thus far
has been on bootstrapping a group that could deal with the complex
issues surrounding the operation of a Volunteer Council; the legal
environment would be one of those issues.  For the Provisional Council
to function it's not really necessary since it has no real power
itself.  The plan is for the Provisional Council to report with
recommendations in September.  At that point the Board will need to be
prudent, about which of those recommendations it will adopt; that
includes taking into account the legal implications of those
recommendations.  Some, such as any joint responsibilities concerning
the by-laws, will require particular attention; I do not completely
exclude the notion that this may not be immediately possible.  More to
the point will be the necessity for negotiated arrangements between
Board and Council.

Much of what we in the combined Wikimedia projects are doing leads us
into uncharted legal territory on a number of fronts.  The by-laws, as
they are written, do allow for representation from communities without
defining what that term means.  The WMF has no legal obligation to
recognize anything that happens in those communities; it can define
communities in a manner that will best suit the purposes of the Board.
At the same time any  group can  legally set up a Volunteer Council
entirely of its own accord, perhaps setting itself up in a jurisdiction
other than Florida and calling itself "Friends of WMF."  It might even
just use the initials in its name to avoid any trademark violations.
That council would have difficulty gaining credibility, but it could
theoretically happen.  I don't by any means suggest that such extreme
positions on the part of Board and volunteers would benefit anybody.

Volunteers and Board will probably be best served by some kind of
symbiosis. If one thrives so does the other.  A collapse by one would
put the viability of the other into question.  The real benefit of the
current resolution lies in the initial credibility that it gives to the
process.  Further credibility will be highly dependent on how such a
Council acts.

Ec