[Foundation-l] Allow new wikis in extinct languages?

Pharos pharosofalexandria at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 06:47:32 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 2:27 AM, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 2:44 PM, Pharos <pharosofalexandria at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:31 AM, Jesse Martin (Pathoschild)
>  >  <pathoschild at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  > Pharos <pharosofalexandria at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  >
>  >  > >  As long as there is
>  >  >  >  a notable -contemporary- literature, vocabulary problems will be
>  >  >  >  minimal.
>  >  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >  What is "notable"?
>  >
>  >  Notable enough to have a Featured Article about [[Modern Latin
>  >  literature]] or [[Modern Coptic literature]] on English Wikipedia or
>  >  another major-language Wikipedia.
>
>  I think this proposed criteria is too subjective and naive. Specially
>  regarding to the fact English Wikipedia is not always good at
>  humanities, in particular non European literatures.  Having a FA may
>  too be occasionally I'm afraid.
>
>  But I like the idea of  "notable authors". They are notable since they
>  have a decent size of readership. It means their writings are read and
>  surrounded by the reader community which the language in question is
>  actively, at least, read and have a possibility to be written again.
>  And even if we still use Wikipedia again, "having an article of that
>  author" is a less opportunity driven criteria, I think.

Of course it would be a powerful incentive to develop some of those
non-European literature articles.  And one that could probably be met
by a dedicated person or small group with a medium effort.

But actually having an FA wouldn't be so important as demonstrating
that such an FA is possible.  Really, it's an idea of making an outlet
where the notableness of the subject would be absolutely demonstrable.

"Notable authors" is another idea that could certainly work, though
this might be complicated a bit by some authors being notable for work
in more than one language, and that some borderline languages might
have notable contemporary literatures, without many notable individual
authors.  Still, it's a concept that could help a lot.

Thanks,
Pharos