[Foundation-l] Allow new wikis in extinct languages?

Pharos pharosofalexandria at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 21:41:38 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
>  This sounds reasonable. However the beauty of the current system is its
>  simplicity and the way in which things can be considered "obvious". The
>  beauty is that we use an external authority that does its best to define
>  languages. The way they categorise languages is not one that I think is
>  absolutely great. This is why Latin is deemed an "ancient" language.
>
>  Then again I also think that the current policy is deliberately ambiguous in
>  the way it expresses opinions about constructed languages. The notion that
>  native speakers are needed is a complete road block even when it is said
>  that a level of importance is to be determined. Any and all constructive
>  suggestions have been stonewalled so far.
>  Thanks,
>     GerardM

In terms of "obviousness" and simplicity, one guidepost I've suggested
is that the language demonstrates the notability of its contemporary
literature, by having a Featured Article, on e.g. [[Modern Latin
literature]], on the English Wikipedia or another major-language
Wikipedia.

This type of guidepost might make things easier and more "obvious" for
the Language subcommittee.

Thanks,
Pharos