[Foundation-l] Relocation announcement

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Sep 22 19:47:45 UTC 2007

Anthony wrote:
> On 9/22/07, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Anthony wrote:
>>
>>> Wikia is in the San Francisco area.  Any chance they'd be willing to
>>> donate some office space to Wikipedia?
>>>
>> Even if they had, we should not accept it (and I doubt they would
>> propose).
>>
> Why wouldn't they propose?  Wikia wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for
> the success of Wikipedia [sic].  A donation of some office space is
> the least they could do.

The issue is not one of offering, but of accepting.  Whether such an
offer is made is entirely within Wikia's control; whether it's accepted
is entirely within WMF's control.  It's important to maintain an arms
length with the for profit company.  Potential liabilities or conflicts
of interest ned to be avoided.
>> We have gone through great efforts to fully separate from them
>> and we now have no more financial/legal/technical relationships. Only
>> love relationships, which is just fine.
>>
> Well, there still a lot of person-overlap, between the board, the
> advisory board, employees, arb com, etc.  And there's still the whole
> interwiki linking mess.  And now, they're gonna be in the same
> metropolitan area (which surely will help with the whole
> people-overlap part).
>
> At least this "relationship" would be to the benefit of the WMF.
But only in the very short term while WMF is trying to establish itself
in a new city.  We need to look further than that.

Ec