[Foundation-l] Relocation announcement

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 18:14:37 UTC 2007

> On 22/09/2007, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Right on it :-)
> >
> > It is interesting to see that many of the discussions focus on a
> > question of costs or on a legal question.
>
> Because wikipedians are survival minded. From the point of view of the
> average wikipedian the job of the foundation is to keep the servers
> running. Thus having the foundation take on extra liabilities (higher
> rents and wages and the like) is worrying. It's the standard crisis
> analysis. If the money stops coming in how long can we keep going.
> Moving somewhere expensive doesn't help.

I think most people in this thread have said important things
that need to be said, and are clearly insightful as a whole.

This is a point though where I really have to say something.

At this time, with its prominence as a premier web-presense,
wikipedia *will* not run out of money to run.

We are so well established as top-tier, that even just tickling
that prominence for drops of ad or adlike revenue would
pretty much swamp us with more money than the foundation
has *fundamental* need for, to keep physically running
indefinitely.

So the matter of the foundation going broke is not even a
red herring at this point, infact it is so far off the scale that
common similes fail here.