[Foundation-l] Relocation announcement

Sebastian Moleski sebmol at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 17:17:35 UTC 2007

> > ... we are more
> > likely to find the skills we need for our development in a big
> > multicultural city than in St Pete, in particular for the senior
> > management. St Pete is a very confortable place to live, but not exactly
> > a anthill of experts in fundraising, business development, grant making,
> > open source mouvement etc...
> >

> Means nothing if you can't afford them in SF.

Moving to San Francisco (or really any of the other places mentioned on the
short list) also means additional opportunities to raise funds. It's a very
different thing to be able to follow a phone call with an impromptu lunch or
dinner meeting then having to schedule a separate day and arrange for air
travel. In that regard, St. Petersburg isn't the place to be because any
significantly large potential donor is not going to live anywhere nearby.

These additional opportunities come with a cost, of course, but you can bet
your grandma these costs have been calculated and compared to the
opportunities each location brings. Anything less would be unprofessional,
and we all know that's not a characteristic applicable to Sue. It wasn't
just a "you know what? how about we move to San Francisco? - ok, sounds
great!" kind of decision-making process.

Sebastian