[Foundation-l] Release of squid log data

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sat Sep 22 08:52:34 UTC 2007

Brian McNeil wrote:
> Stalkers are not a nice thing to deal with and I think you're underplaying
> the seriousness of the issue. They may be no serious risk of physical threat
> and thus your comments about bodyguards are appropriate. However, you're not
> taking into account what it is like when you get death threats by email and
> snail-mail.

I don't think it's fair to imply that those of us who oppose specific
"anti-stalking" measures are somehow unfamiliar with the issue. Many of
us have experienced crazy people going on crusades and sending out
flurries of crazy and often threatening messages and/or phone calls. I'm
just more jaded about it, and consider it part of the cost of doing
business, so to speak, when dealing with electronic communications
systems. That sort of thing has been a part of the internet for as long
as I can remember, and the internet hasn't fallen apart because of it,
so people muddle through as always. Nobody came up with a way to solve
the problem on Usenet in the mid-1990s without making other things
worse, and I don't think you're going to come up with a magic solution
today on Wikipedia without breaking something else either.

-Mark