[Foundation-l] Release of squid log data

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 13:40:29 UTC 2007

On 20/09/2007, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> There are plenty of admins that happily make their real identity
> public knowledge and apparently aren't so afraid of "stalkers" that
> they're unwilling to block people.  There's probably at least one of
> them online 24 hours a day.  Get one of them to make the block.

I agree, that ought to be enough in most situations. It would be good
to have something to fall back on if we end up needing to block
someone known to be dangerous, though.

> If there are some gaps in that 24 hour coverage, hire someone to fill
> in those gaps.  Pay them enough that they can buy a PO box, an alarm
> system for their house, etc.  How does society handle having judges
> and police and presidents and soldiers and other figures who have to
> make and enforce decisions that rile up a few nutters?  Not by making
> them unaccountable for their actions.  If Wikipedia is a serious
> project creating a real benefit to society, why shouldn't it do the
> same thing?  Being part of the wikipolice is surely less dangerous
> than being part of the real police.

Presidents have bodyguards. Judges generally have police escorts if
they need them. Police and soldiers are trained and equipped to defend
themselves. Giving Wikipedia admins personal protection would be
taking things a little too far, IMHO ;).