[Foundation-l] Release of squid log data

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 12:27:30 UTC 2007

On 15/09/2007, Erik Zachte <erikzachte at infodisiac.com> wrote:
> If a Chinese or Iranian university offered to sign a confidentiality
> agreement, would you accept it? Or an institute in another country where
> they exchange students with?

Spain has (multiple) laws which make unauthorised or negligent release
of personally identifiable data a criminal offence, and a government
which generally respects them; Iran and China do not. Invoking the
Evil Totalitarian Bogeyman isn't really helpful, here; there's no
reason we have to treat all applicants the same way.

> I am not questioning the integrity of current applicants at all. I do have
> doubts about where the data will ultimately end up, if gradually tens of
> institutions carry our viewer data on their portables, or in 2009 on 1 Tb
> memory sticks :)

So you make data storage security part of the agreement. Frankly, I
see absolutely no reason we should trust a competent, serious,
university research department any *less* than we trust WMF's ability
to keep tabs on who's got hold of the data...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk