[Foundation-l] Release of squid log data

Erik Zachte erikzachte at infodisiac.com
Sat Sep 15 03:06:33 UTC 2007

If a Chinese or Iranian university offered to sign a confidentiality
agreement, would you accept it? Or an institute in another country where
they exchange students with?

I still remember the talk at Berlin, 21C3, Dec 2004, where inside info was
given about the draconic measures China has taken to keep its citizen under
control. According to the talk they have 30,000 IT personnel working on
patrolling their electronic borders (estimate by 'Reporters without
Borders'), and the best (US) equipment, loads of it. Those guys would love
to parse these data.

I am not questioning the integrity of current applicants at all. I do have
doubts about where the data will ultimately end up, if gradually tens of
institutions carry our viewer data on their portables, or in 2009 on 1 Tb
memory sticks :)

Pakistan got the blueprints for ultracentrifuges for producing nuclear bombs
by a friendly student exchange project, from a small peaceful country in
Western Europe. Sensitive scientific data tend to travel.

Erik Zachte