[Foundation-l] Let's switch to CC-BY-SA

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon Sep 10 04:31:47 UTC 2007

Gwern Branwen wrote:
> Erik, I think in large part people are thinking along the lines of relicensing because there is so little appreciable and publicly visible progress being made. It's great that the WMF has been working on this, but it'd also be great if there were more occasional mentions that something is indeed being done. For example, is relicensing under the GSFDL an avenue that is seriously being pursued? I know there have been people saying for literally years that WP could convert to GSFDL, that the FSF was specifically working to make it possible, and that such a conversion would be desirable - but the last comment I remember was White telling me to be patient and wait for a public announcement Real Soon Now. What other avenues are being discussed? etc.

Well, there's an official draft of the FDLv2 that contains a
relicensing-to-SFDL provision:
http://gplv3.fsf.org/fdl-draft-2006-09-22.html

That was posted about a year ago with no official updates since then,
but that the FSF did release an official draft with that clause is a
pretty good indication IMO that it's being seriously pursued.

-Mark