[Foundation-l] WikiSym 2007: Early registration deadline Sept. 13

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 18:42:26 UTC 2007

This is the official announcement for WikiSym 2007, a conference about wikis
that is now in its third year. WikiSym is different from both Wikimania and
Recent Changes Camp in that it is primarily focussed on research into wikis,
though there is also a track for open discussion and practitioner reports;
Wikimedians and Wikip/media researchers are very welcome to attend. See the
site below for more info, and please distribute to anyone who may be
interested.

-- phoebe

                             WikiSym 2007

                2007 International Symposium on Wikis

                     Wikis at Work in the World:
       Open, Organic, Participatory Media for the 21st Century

                         October 21-23, 2007
                    Palais des Congrès de Montréal
                       Montreal, Quebec, Canada

                    http://www.wikisym.org/ws2007/

Registration is now open for WikiSym 2007, convening October 21
through 23 in chic, sophisticated, metropolitan Montreal, Quebec.

**Deadline for early registration is September 13th**

NO ORDINARY CONFERENCE

WikiSym is the only international scientific conference dedicated to
wikis. It brings together wiki researchers, practitioners, and users.
The goal of the symposium is to explore and extend our growing
community. It has a rigorously reviewed research paper track as well
as plenty of space for practitioner reports, demonstrations, and open
discussions. Anyone who is involved in using, researching, or
developing wikis is invited to WikiSym 2007!

We recognize that the online world is always evolving, and therefore
welcome people interested in other online media consistent with the
wiki philosophy of being open, organic and participatory.

PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS

Our headline speakers this year include many of the thought leaders on
wiki. Our keynote speaker will be Jonathan Grudin (Microsoft
Research), one of the world's leading researchers on Computer
Supported Collaborative Work. Ward Cunningham (AboutUs), inventor of
wiki and founding father of our field, will give the closing talk.
Peter Thoeny (StructuredWikis), creator of TWiki, will give a half day
tutorial on wikis in the workplace.

Our program also includes two headline speakers from ooPSLA, our host
conference. Jim Purbrick and Mark Lentczner, creators of Second Life,
will talk about this collaboratively built 3D virtual world. Peter
Turchi, award-winning author of "Maps of the Imagination", will talk
about the relationships between creative writing, making maps, and
creativity.

That's just a sampling of what makes WikiSym the conference of choice
for wiki researchers.

We are proud to offer you WikiSym and look forward to sharing the
experience with you in Montréal this fall.

Co-located events:

ooPSLA 2007 (http://oopsla.org/)
DLS 2007 (http://www.swa.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/dls07/)
ISMM 2007 (http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~greg/ismm07/)
LCSD 2007 (http://lcsd.cs.tamu.edu/2007/) APL 2007
(http://www.sigapl.org/apl2007.html)
Mini PloP (http://refactory.com/OOPSLA_Workshop.html)
CompFrame 2007 (http://www.compframe.org/compframe2007/)

For more information and to register, go to http://www.wikisym.org/ws2007/.

Alain Désilets (National Research Council of Canada) WikiSym 2007
Conference Chair

Robert Biddle (Carleton University)
WikiSym 2007 Program Chair