[Foundation-l] Our values

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Sep 2 22:07:33 UTC 2007

Florence Devouard wrote:
> It seems to me that "wikilove" is something most of us would like to see
> as one of our value (a mix of respect for others, what they do, what
> they believe in, and a desire to listen to them rather than just
> straight telling them they are jerks if they believe in blablabla...).
> It is a desire of empathy for others. For some of us, it is because it
> is the type of environment they prefer. For others, very practically,
> because it is *good* for the project to have a great diversity of
> approaches and skills, and we can not have this diversity if there is
> not a minimum of tolerance and trust.
>
> This said, we can not make wikilove a rule, a policy, but certainly a
> guideline in how we expect editors to behave one with each other.

Maybe this is what distinguishes a value from a rule or policy.

We can envision a collaborative environment where empathy and mutual
respect have clear constructive benefits, but those of us with that
vision are still a minority.  The competitive model that favors the
superior performance of one person to the exclusion of all others is not
about to die easily. It has too long been a part of fundamental social
structures, including educational systems.
> On some websites, the people are not expected to behave nicely with each
> others. In some TV shows, you are even expected to be nasty and vicious
> with the other people on the stage.
Things haven't changed much from the time when people were put into the
Roman Colosseum to fight with lions.
> I would hope that the majority of us
> would prefer respect and tolerance at a minimum. Limits of tolerance are
> very quickly reached when a very racist person, or a pedophile, or a
> extrem-right wing person is editing. But still, we do not ban them on
> the spot, right ?

These extreme views may be the loudest, but they are not the most
important.  They are blatantly obvious, and thus the most easily monitored.
> Wikilove can only be a guidelines, a hope.
>
> That does not mean that this guidelines is always respected. Yes, there
> are edit wars, yes, there are personal attacks, yes, there is
> cyberstalking etc... and yes the english wikipedia is not always very
> friendly. But is this really the type of working environment we are
> looking for ?
It's a work in progress with much to be done.

Ec