[Foundation-l] Project Proposal: WikiCurriculum

Cormac Lawler cormaggio at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 00:21:49 UTC 2007

On 9/1/07, Martin Weissman <weissman.marty at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have posted a project proposal, WikiCurriculum, at
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiCurriculum.
>
> Please let me know your thoughts about the viability of such a project.  In
> addition, please read the section of the project proposal on "distinction
> from existing projects", before jumping to conclusions that this project
> fits naturally within Wikiversity or Wikibooks.
>
> In addition to your general thoughts, my project relies on some Semantic Web
> technology.  Will the Semantic Mediawiki extension be integrated into
> Wikimedia projects?  If not, perhaps I should consider using some
> combination of Longwell/Fresnel or hosting elsewhere.
>
> Thank you for your advice and consideration,
>
> Marty Weissman

Hi Marty, and thanks for this.

I reckon this proposal is ripe for inclusion within Wikiversity -
provided some changes are made to Wikiversity's technical structure. I
have thought about 'turning on' Semantic MediaWiki in Wikiversity as
an experiment, but I haven't consulted with anyone else in the
Wikiversity community about this. Having talked with Denny Vrandecic
at Wikimania, he seems to be enthusiastic about getting SMW leaner and
faster, thereby reducing pressure on bandwidth. I'd like to know and
talk more about this, and other aspects of your outlined "foundational
structure" of materials.

Other than this, Platonides' question is good - curriculum "standards"
according to whom? Or would this be targeted to and cross-referenced
with as many educational systems as possible (if not all)?

I like the idea of doing it as a focused activity at the beginning
(K9-12 Maths). Wikiversity's curriculum-building efforts are
widely-spread, not very well organised, and mostly quite sparse, but a
community around this activity could well change that. Is there a
community behind this idea?

Looking forward to hearing more. :-)

Cormac