[Foundation-l] YouPorn in Germany: Another ugly legal case

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 14:41:37 UTC 2007

On 27/10/2007, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Due to the US constitution it is rather hard to do. By comparison EU
> > countries often have a selection of laws such as anti holocaust denial
> > laws that could be used as a basis for internet censorship. I admit
> > that I don't know much about the situation in japan.
>
> The US constitution can be and has been amended. I know Germany has
> anti-Nazi laws, and Austria might as well, but they certainly aren't
> universal in the EU.

Also appear in France and a fair chunk of the other occupied
countries. Also blasphemy laws and the like. Spain also has some laws
about what you can say about the king.

> The only "censorship" I can see happening in the
> UK is regarding child pornography and things than fall under various
> terrorism umbrellas. I expect the US has similar laws.

Terrorism ones not so much. Technically US laws on drawn child
pornography are currently stricter than UK equiv but UK laws are
changing (I think they are currently trying to work out how not to ban
putti) and I'm not sure how well US law would hold up in the courts

> I should also point out that the world does not consist of the US, EU
> and Japan...

Islamic countries show a clear tend towards censorship. I think we all
know about china and the youtube issues with Brazil. India took some
actions around the time of those train bombings. Former soviet block
doesn't exactly have a culture of authority respecting freedom of
communication. Same is true for much of Africa.

--
geni