[Foundation-l] Priorities

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 18:43:46 UTC 2007

Hoi,
When you speak about people's own language, you should consider their mother
tongue first. Information has the most impact when it is provided in
people's mother tongue. In education, a teacher who understands and speaks
the language of his students has a bigger impact then someone who speaks the
officious language. You may have observed this in the schools you have been
to.

I assume that you are under the impression that I want the WMF to pay people
for creating content. First of all I did not say this, second of all there
is more mileage in ensuring that languages are enabled to be used in
MediaWiki. This may mean that we invest in the creation of some Unicode
glyphs, some fonts. This does enable people to use their language in the way
they know it. There are many more strategies that take investments that will
promote the creation of content in such languages without paying people to
create such content. Having said all that.. why should it necessarily be a
problem to pay people for creating content ?? It does not even have to be
WMF money..

When the English language Wikipedia started, it was small. People saw its
potential and invested their time, their effort and now we have this
wonderful resource. There are people who see a similar value in a Wikipedia
in Twi, Wolof, Xhosa. The argument that it is not yet as good as the English
Wikipedia is irrelevant. People see that the potential is there. A Wikipedia
in these languages can be made to work. With dedication such a project will
become useful, valuable, educational.

You assume that people prefer to learn in another language. You forget that
many do not have a choice. With your assumption that people prefer to be
educated in other languages then their mother tongue, you even deny them
that choice. It is an established fact that people will hear and understand
better when a message is brought to them in their own language. By insisting
on educating people in a "world language" we will not provide the best
education that we could provide.

Thanks,
    GerardM