[Foundation-l] Priorities

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 16:51:12 UTC 2007

Hoi,
OmegaWiki .. right .. you ask for it; it does allow for linking all kinds of
information together and provided we have the translation in "your" language
we can show it to you. When we do not we show it in English or in what we
have. We have localisations of the user interface in an increasing number of
language so in reality we do justice to the values that we share with the
Wikimedia Foundation. We do it using the MediaWiki software and the effort
people put in have an effect for everyone who has an interest in that
language that subject.

Having said that .. :) how do you define a language as "significant" ?? When
a language is significant (your definition) what do you mean "our
educational materials" does that include there being a Wikipedia in that
language ??

The argument that I made is that investments made in supporting other
languages reap bigger rewards then investments in the English language
functionality. The investments needed for many languages are relative small
but the impact is huge. To get a great ROI these investments outclass what
you can do for English easily. Everything has already been done for the
English language. Then again why value other languages then your own.. maybe
C, C++, PHP and Python as well ??

There are many really relevant reasons why you want to preserve culture and
languages. There are many people who feel second class because they are
treated as second class people. Their language, the language they speak, the
language they grew up with is considered to be of no value. With it their
culture is deemed to be of no value. So they need to drive a SUV, eat
hamburgers and speak English, we call that education. We call that progress.
We call that the Wikimedia Foundation fulfilling its purpose....

Somehow I do not think so.

Thanks,
     GerardM