[Foundation-l] Fundraising banner ad

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Tue Oct 23 06:53:17 UTC 2007

On 10/23/07, Waerth <waerth at asianet.co.th> wrote:
> This is actually the one point that I am disappointed in. For years (I
> have been with the projects since 2003) there has been talk about
> grants. Yet apart from a few rare and between cases nothing seems to
> have been done. Now I know talk is easy as I am standing on the
> sideline. But I really feel that the foundation should either look at
> grants seriously or not spend money on keeping on trying! Currently I
> feel that it is looked at half-half and someone pulls the word grant out
> if the closet every now and then when it is needed. I really hope the
> foundation does something one way or the other ... be serious about it,
> or do not spend money on it.

That's a completely fair comment. A grant, unlike a donation,
typically commits you to a certain project that needs to be managed
and overseen -- and that requires a level of organizational
development which we simply have not reached yet. Working towards that
is exactly one of the goals of this fundraiser.
--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik