[Foundation-l] Priorities

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Mon Oct 22 20:14:04 UTC 2007

Dan Rosenthal wrote:

>It would also have been nice if he had a legitimate reason for
>turning down Florence, rather than saying "Oh, I won't be associated
>with you anti-comic people".

I apologise for being unduly harsh in my other mail. My thanks for the
apology, I was blissfully unaware of the existence of a notable Howard
TaylOr.

Anyway, it was me approached Howard. I'd been toying with the idea for a bit
of using his right-hand side ad banner for the Wikinews quiz to bring in
some readers, and perhaps a few contributors. One day would cost about $6
max and I would have taken the Monday after we posted the quiz and seen how
many more scores we got posted.

Instead, I got a reminder on this list about the fundraiser and I though, "I
can't afford to give much - maybe 50 Euro." This sort-of gelled with the
other idea and I thought, hey! Shlock Mercenary (Howard's strip
http://www.schlockmercenary.com/) brings a smile to my face in the morning,
happy people are more willing to part with money... If I buy a day and get
10-20 donors at $5 each the foundation wins. Do a few days and I've turned a
$20 donation into a $100-$200 donation from other people who might not spot
the Wikipedia sitenotice.

I was surprised at the response I got from Howard, and there was a degree of
synchronicity with discussing on-wiki conduct towards the inexperienced, or
those perceived as inexperienced. Florence just mentioned trying editing
anonymously and not getting the best of receptions.

Brian.