[Foundation-l] Priorities

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Oct 21 20:37:35 UTC 2007

Bryan Tong Minh wrote:
> On 10/21/07, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>
>>> Having tried editing anonymously for a few weeks myself, I
>>> can assure you our treatment of newcomers - even those that
>>> understand things from a technical perspective - leaves
>>> much to be desired.
>>>
>> This has become one of our biggest problems.
>>
> "Our" as in "The English Wikipedia's biggest problem" or the biggest
> problem for all our projects?
"Our" as in _all_ the projects. They are most evident in the English
Wikipedia, but that may be a function of its size as much as anything.
In a tiny project with a small number of editors a strong admin is
easily respected and followed.  No immediate action is needed on these
small projects.  The descent into disfunctionality that has been so
obvious in the en-wikipedia is not a development that comes overnight,
and it will not occur at the same rate on all projects.  Sometimes
people use standardisation as an excuse for their behaviour, and a
newbie who has no background on the particular standard being imposed is
in a difficult position when he seeks to challenge what he sees as wrong.

Ec