[Foundation-l] Question about office move

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 19 23:11:13 UTC 2007

I suppose I should give context :)

Despite the 9th Circuit's reputation for liberality,
moving there would mean a more slightly conservative
interpretation of copyright.  Foreign language works
first published outside the US between 1909 and 1923
are considered public domain in all of US *except* in
the 9th circuit which stupidly treats them as
unpublished works not subject to the URAA [1]

I probably have the details somewhat mistaken but it
definitely makes some small difference if we are 9th
Circuit or not.

Birgitte SB

[1]http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/training/Hirtle_Public_Domain.htm#Footnote_11