[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Dmcdevit dmcdevit at cox.net
Sun Oct 14 00:22:38 UTC 2007

Marc Riddell wrote:
> So it's not strictly flowing
> exactly from the original topic, so what! It's conversation. Now the
> suggestion is to actually moderate (punish) the participants. My question is
> simple: How on earth is this conversation harming this List or anyone
> reading it?
Foundation-l is not an amateur debate club. I don't give a whit about
your pontifications on sexuality, religion, and politics, and neither
does my inbox. Frankly, I have no idea what you Thomas, Ray, Anthony and
others think you are accomplishing, but I am very frustrated that
repeated attempts to suggest some level of relevant discussion are
simply dismissed with a "it's not harmful" response. It may not be
harmful to whatever your purposes are, but it is extremely
counterproductive to the list's, and Wikimania. Whether or not I agree
with it, I was happy to see Mark Ryan's on-topic post, moving us towards
what the line of discussion already should have been: if and how we can
improve the bid selection process in the future. Unfortunately, it's
being drowned out by your droning on the nature of homosexuality,
learning and choosing religion, Jewishness, and other stuff that is
better left to your private musings and personal emails.

If your response to this email is a similar dismissal and continued
off-topic philosophizing, I welcome moderation.

Dominic