[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 13 23:50:10 UTC 2007

on 10/13/07 7:21 PM, Aphaia at aphaia at gmail.com wrote:

> Holding Wikimania in a given is never and should not a verdict which
> country is politically correct. This thread is totally irrelevant to
> the Wikimedia Foundation. I admit you're discussing something
> meaningful in a certain regime, but it is not relevant to this
> mailinglist and methinks the participants of this discussion should be
> moderated, if they continue it here.

This is not directed at you, specifically, Aphaia, but in response to
several similar posts here.

Dialogue, debate, intelligent conversation between and among persons is a
joy, and should be encouraged everywhere. So it's not strictly flowing
exactly from the original topic, so what! It's conversation. Now the
suggestion is to actually moderate (punish) the participants. My question is
simple: How on earth is this conversation harming this List or anyone
reading it? Are we so anal as to decide what specific conversations are and
are not "permitted"? OK, I might have some trouble with someone wanting to
discuss their chicken soup recipe, but what is being discussed here is
people and their condition.

Marc Riddell