[Foundation-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

rfrangi at libero.it rfrangi at libero.it
Sat Oct 13 17:37:28 UTC 2007

> Last I heard, the last terror attack in the US was 2001. Now how many
> have there been in Egypt or in close proximity to it? Read the links in
> all the mails that have been going around here.
>
> Jason Safoutin

When you travel to a foreign country, terrorism is not the only factor of risk. There's also plain criminality. And you can find it in abundace in every big city, be it Alexandria or NYC.

Anyway, every year millions of people go to Egypt and come back home safely. Unfortunately, some people die. It can be because of a kamikaze attack in Sharm el Sheik, or it can be because of a drunk teenager driving to fast in your direction. You know, life sucks!

Still all this ranting about putting at risk the life of wikimedians is ridicolous. You talk like all wikimedians in Alexandria will be round up by egyptian police and deported in the egyptian equivalent of Guantanamo.

Now I quit this silly conversation and leave you alone with your fears. Take care! The world is a dangerous place to live.

Roberto (Snowdog)