[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 14:37:00 UTC 2007

> I'm at work. Rapid search on google gives me these:
> http://www.hrw.org/press/2003/02/egypt022003.htm
> http://hrw.org/english/docs/2003/10/07/egypt6432.htm
> http://www.sodomylaws.org/world/egypt/egnews85.htm
> http://www.planetout.com/pno/news/article.html?date=2003/09/24/2
>
> In two minutes of search. I've not even read the full articles, for now.
> But what if I've searched enough time?
> You can say: "ehy, they were local". It doesn't seem so different, for me.
> It's not that different.

It's very different. If you're objecting to Wikimania being held in
Egypt because of actions towards locals, then you are objecting on
ideological grounds, not on safety grounds. It is completely
different. If there is a real danger to anyone visiting Wikimania,
then something needs to be done about it, but there are going to be
ideological objections wherever we hold it.