[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 09:16:07 UTC 2007

Hoi,
Make a distinction. I have never seen a "confederate flag" at any of the
Wikimanias. So at the event everyone is very much welcome. The aim of a
Wikimania is to bring people from all over the world together to talk wiki,
wiki in any shape or form. It is a Wikimedia Foundation event so it is very
much MediaWiki and WMF projects that is on the agenda.

The aim of the Wikimedia Foundation is to bring information to the world.
This means all of the world, not just those parts of the world where Western
people feel comfortable. Bringing free npov information to the world is what
we aim to achieve by going to all parts of the world. From an organisation's
point of view all the reset is secondary.

Yes, it is best if everyone feels comfortable in coming to a Wikimania. When
Wikimania goes to the Middle East, it has not gone to Africa proper. When
Anthere says in her speech that Africa should be on our agenda, it is a step
towards Africa. We do not talk explicitly about many things. The reason is
imho simple; it is not what we are there for. This is what others deal with.

I am unhappy that people find that they are unable to go to Egypt. I am
extremely unhappy that this discussion is happening after a decision; a
decision that  has been made and is final. What upsets me greatly is that
the quality of the arguments about this issue, particularly about how
foreigners are treated in Egypt, is of such a quality that the argument
would be likely deleted in Wikipedia. We are talking largely about hearsay
and the arguments of there not being a problem are at least as strong and
better documented.

Thanks,
    GerardM