[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

David Strauss david at fourkitchens.com
Fri Oct 12 06:54:40 UTC 2007

Ray Saintonge wrote:
>> If you use official records, there's zero gay bashing in Iran. I
>> wouldn't consider Egypt's records on GLBT issues accurate, either.
>>
> Can I read that as a vote for moving Wikimania 2008 to Iran?

You should probably read it as some doubt about the authenticity of
Iranian records in that area.

>> That's the quandary with record-keeping. The places with the most
>> problems often have the worst records. Never mistake bad record keeping
>> with the absence of a problem.
> Not always; those Germans were meticulous record keepers.

They didn't consider the executions during WWII a problem; they
considered them a "solution."

> While I can agree that there can be a strong correlation between poor
> human rights and poor record keeping, it is inappropriate to impute a
> causal relationsip between the two.

I'm not claiming causality. I'm just claiming that a lack of records on
something doesn't indicate the absence of something.