[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Claudio Mastroianni gattonero at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 22:56:13 UTC 2007

Il giorno 12/ott/07, alle ore 00:31, Muhammad Alsebaey ha scritto:

> With all due respect to all parties involved guys, this is quickly
> degenerating into a FUD (if it hasn't already).
>
> Some quick facts:
>
>    - Burqa sounds medieval :) , only a very small fraction of the
>    population here wears what you would call a burqa. Most either
> wear a scarf
>    or have bare hair. that is perfectly ok.

I was making an iperbole. I know that burqa is not an oblige in
Egypt, I know the various interpretation of being veiled.
I was just making an ipothesis: "What about the next year we're going
to a place where burqa is used?"

>    - Getting a double room is ok, no-one will be offended.

Someone spoke about 70 gays being arrested in Egypt for being gay. Is
it true?

> When you try to visualize Egypt, and you have never been here
> before, please
> don't imagine one of the more fundamentalist Islamic countries you
> see in
> the news or something along that line, I think this is stereo-typing.

I've no problem with Egypt at all, and I don't find it that
fundamentalist EVEN IF it _is_ fundamentalist (not that much, but it
is so).
I'm making a broader thinking about "Wikimedia and Human Rights", and
"Wikimania and Human rights".

Ah, and I'm answering to some homophobic phrase I'm reading on this
thread: they're very sad.