[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Muhammad Alsebaey shipmaster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 22:31:58 UTC 2007

With all due respect to all parties involved guys, this is quickly
degenerating into a FUD (if it hasn't already).

Some quick facts:

   - Burqa sounds medieval :) , only a very small fraction of the
   population here wears what you would call a burqa. Most either wear a scarf
   or have bare hair. that is perfectly ok.
   - Getting a double room is ok, no-one will be offended.
   - No one gets stoned in Egypt, for anything, Our laws were originally
   based on English and French laws, with a touch of Islamic law, this is not
   considered Sharia laws by any means.

When you try to visualize Egypt, and you have never been here before, please
don't imagine one of the more fundamentalist Islamic countries you see in
the news or something along that line, I think this is stereo-typing.

On 10/11/07, Claudio Mastroianni <gattonero at gmail.com> wrote:

> Il giorno 11/ott/07, alle ore 23:32, Thomas Dalton ha scritto:
>
> > On 11/10/2007, Jason Safoutin <jason.safoutin at wikinewsie.org> wrote:
> >> So I see...we (homosexuals etc) have to hide who we are and what
> >> we are
> >> proud of...so homosexuals don't get hurt or arrested.
> >> Wonderful...I will
> >> make sure to bring a mask or 2 to conceal anything that might
> >> suggest I
> >> am gay. Because thats what it feels like I ans any other
> >> homosexual has
> >> to do to make this trip work. Thats wrong, unfair and it
> >> discrimination.
> >
> > There is a difference between hiding and not flaunting. Do you really
> > define yourself in terms of your sexuality to such an extent that you
> > need everyone to know you're gay? No-one is suggesting you pretend to
> > be straight, just tactfully avoid the subject.
>
> No, that's not the problem.
> I'm reading "Don't take a double", and that's... how to say? Ridicolous?
> This is not a matter of wearing a t-shirt with "I'm gay" written on,
> this is a matter of people who are not permitted to sleep with their
> partner cause "could be offensive" and could give problem.
> Iperbole: when will be going to a place where women "socially" wear
> burqa, are we going to ask all the women attending to "wear the burqa
> to not seem offensive"? I don' think so.
>
> Please: read what you write.
> I'm not against Alexandria, but the more I read this thread, the more
> I'm ashamed of what I read.

Best Regards,
Muhammad Alsebaey