[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 22:25:15 UTC 2007

On 11/10/2007, Dan Rosenthal <swatjester at gmail.com> wrote:
> Should I avoid being Jewish while I'm at it? Why not, it's a choice
> just like being gay is right? Or if being gay is not a choice (TBH I
> don't know what the prevailing viewpoint is), should I attempt to
> avoid being black? Should I be stoned for being a single mother out
> of wedlock? Oh what a slippery slope we're on here, and the fact that
> people are ok with it is really scary.

I don't think anyone is "ok" with it. You just have to pick your
battles. No-one has presented any evidence that anyone would be in any
real danger, so it isn't that big an issue. It would be great is
people were more open minded, but the world is not perfect, and
there's not a lot we can do about it. Our key aim of spreading
knowledge should help, but I can't see anything we can do making a big
difference in the next year.