[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Wikimania 2008 will happen in Alexandria, Egypt

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 20:53:59 UTC 2007

> I realize that GLB people can remain celibate while in Egypt and they
> are likely to be fine. The fact that they may be safer pretending to
> be something they are not is a bit disconcerting, but that is not my
> primary concern.

Celibacy isn't required, they just need to avoid overt "public
displays of affection". (And it might be wise to avoid requesting a
double hotel room...) It's not really that different to women wearing
a headscarf when going to look around a mosque - whether you agree
with other people's beliefs or not, you go along with them when in
their country/building.

> My primary concern is the safety of potential transgendered and
> transsexual conference attendees.

And what are the grounds for this concern? I haven't seen an answer to
that question yet.