[Foundation-l] Cultural policy and Internet in Serbia

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 00:58:32 UTC 2007

Should not the cultural policy in Serbia as elsewhere be the
reciprocal integration and diffusion of the national contributions to
culture with those of other nations, to the benefit of  Serbians and
of all other people? This is the synthesis of multiple nationalisms.
It  has never required the internet, but is greatly facilitated by it.

On 10/3/07, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:
> The day before yesterday I got a call to talk about cultural policy
> and Internet in Serbia tomorrow. Today I realized that it is a good
> idea to ask other people about the ideas. So, even there is not enough
> of time for discussion, please send your ideas. Text of my "ask
> Slashdot" is below.
>
> * * *
>
> Tomorrow I will talk about cultural policy and Internet in Serbia with
> representatives of Serbian ministry for culture, the City of Belgrade
> and a couple of important organizations which focus is somewhere
> between society and Internet. It will be some kind of open meeting, I
> expect no more then 100 people in the audience. Talk is organized by
> South East Europe Portal for Culture and Art[1] and Ebart
> consulting[2] (didn't find page in English for the last one).
>
> You may guess that there is no relation between cultural policy of
> Serbia and Internet. However, some people are trying to change the
> situation and I think that they should get help from local people who
> are living on the Internet for a long time.
>
> There is, also, one big trap here. I don't see a lot of differences
> between "cultural policy" and "nationalist policy". So, I wouldn't
> like to talk about "promotion of Serbia on the Internet", but about
> making good conditions in Serbia for independent free speech,
> spreading free knowledge, free software etc.
>
> However, I am a little bit tired of more then a decade long fight for
> computerization, Internetization, freesoftwareization,
> freeknowledgization in Serbia. And I don't have a lot of ideas what to
> talk with them. Because of that I prefer to become a medium for yours
> and others good ideas.
>
> The meeting is at 12:00 CEST. I have to be there at 11:30, which means
> that I would be able to analyze your responses up to 9:00 CEST. Thanks
> a lot for any kind of useful input!
>
> [1] - http://www.seecult.org/english/
> [2] - http://www.arhiv.co.yu/

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.